Mount Breitenbach Attempt


Statistics

  • Date - 09/27/2002
  • Elevation - 10,000'
  • Route - Pete Creek Drainage
  • Miles - 4.0
  • Elevation Gain - 3,000'
  • ACME Mapper - Link
  • CalTopo - Link
  • Partners - Not Applicable

Description

I left Boise, Idaho, after work on Thursday at 5:00 and was in Arco, Idaho, at 8:00.  I waited until morning to get to the trailhead.  I started up the drainage shortly after 8:00 and could see a lot of snow on the mountains to the west.  The sun was no where to be seen and it was extremely overcast.  The canyon is relatively wide and the rock hopping was enjoyable.  I would recommend trekking poles if you have them.  About one mile up the canyon it started to snow.  It was nothing too serious, but there was enough to get the rocks wet and dampen my spirits.  I put on some more clothes and continued hiking.  I didn't see the south summit of Mount Breitenbach all morning as it was shrouded in clouds.  After two hours of bushwacking, I made it two miles and 3,000'.  At 10,000', I thought I was doing good and felt as though I still might be able to summit.  I stopped for a snack, and in a matter of minutes the snow got much heavier.  It wasn't a white out, but it was white enough for me to decide I shouldn't continue on.  The weather improved as I descended and I was starting to question my decision.  I should have waited out the squall to see if conditions became more manageable before turning around so quickly. 

Photos

Poor Weather Conditions